Veggie or Fruit Prints
This month’s theme is SPRING. Let’s have some fun making prints of the signs of spring using vegetables and fruits.
I love printmaking. When I got married many decades ago, my father made our wedding invitations using a linoleum block print of a design I drew. There are many other ways to make prints.
You can make prints by silk screening, by using a gelatin base, by making impressions on Styrofoam trays, by making rubbings and various other ways. We are going to make prints today using vegetables and fruits. What fun!!
Here’s a list of what you will need:
- Assorted vegetables and fruits such as okra, celery, mushrooms, oranges, etc.
- Paper for printing
- Acrylic paint
- Plates on which to put the paint
- Markers, crayons or colored pencils for adding details to your prints
STEPS IN MAKING VEGGIE and FRUIT PRINTS
- Examine your veggies and fruits. Have an adult cut them into pieces so you can use different parts of them for making prints.
2. Put some paint on the plates, one color per plate. If the paint seems thick, you can thin it down with a bit of water.
3.You can coat the vegetables or fruit by dipping it into the paint OR you can use a brush to coat the printing portion of the veg/fruit with paint.
4.Start printing. Experiment and have fun.
5. Wipe the veg/fruit in between colors or experiment with coating paint on top of paint. The possibilities are endless!!
Hope you enjoy this activity! Have fun, be creative and send me a picture of what you make!
Have a great day!