Make-It Monday: A Tree Collage
Today we are going to make a collage of a tree. For this activity, you will need the following materials:
- Different colors of paper (any type of paper)
- White glue
- Mixing container
- Optional: colored pencils or watercolors
- A piece of paper for the collage
- Tear or cut your paper into small pieces of different shapes and sizes. Put each color into a separate pile. You can cut or tear the pieces into any shape or size you want. That is the fun of doing this type of artwork.
- Draw your tree design on the paper for the collage. You can put in as much detail as you want or just draw a tree trunk. Be creative.
- If you want, you can use colored pencils or watercolor paints to fill in the different areas of the picture. I like to do this sometimes because it adds color to areas of the paper where there is space between the pieces of colored paper.
- In a small bowl or container, mix white glue with a VERY small amount of water. You should add just enough water to make the glue spread easier. It doesn’t take much water. Sometimes I put some glue in the container or on a piece of paper, and I dip my brush in water before I put it into the glue. That works to thin the glue enough that it spreads easily.
- Pick an area on your drawing to begin. Brush some glue/water mixture onto a small part, and start adding your pieces of torn paper. When you get a few pieces down, brush some more glue mixture over top of them to glue them down. In the image above, you can see my paper with glue on it, the water container, and my picture with the ground and sky completely collaged.
- Keep adding paper to the drawing until your collage is complete.
- Allow the collage to dry thoroughly.
- If you want, you can add more to the image with pens, pencils, or crayons. Be creative! Have fun!
I love collage. I like it because it is messy and that’s okay, and because you can paste and cut any way you like!!
Do you like collage? What do you like about it?
Do you have a favorite tree nearby that you could take a photo of and make a collage about it? That would be a great way to get outside and be creative!
Have fun and enjoy your day.